PHP Classes

xls with variable column names

Recommend this page to a friend!

MS-Excel Stream Handler  >  All threads  >  xls with variable column names  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:xls with variable column names
Summary:Constructiong more complicated xls
Author:Niclas Paul
Date:2008-09-23 07:05:11
Update:2008-09-23 07:58:11

1. xls with variable column names   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Niclas Paul Niclas Paul - 2008-09-23 07:05:11
First off, 2^100 thanks for a superb stream handler! It just made my life sooo much easier!

But I need to construct an Excelfile with a seemingly simple format, but I can't make the array(s) work.
Basically I need an xls with contact information at the top, and below it a standard listing. Simplified something like:

Name Bob the Builder
Address Whatever

Product Code Info
Some product 123 Blahblah
Another prod 456 Foobar

Can it be done?

br,
Niclas Paul, Finland

2. Re: xls with variable column names   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Niclas Paul Niclas Paul - 2008-09-23 07:34:32 - In reply to message 1 from Niclas Paul
To partially answer my own question (in case someone else is wondering about the same). My mistake was of course that I tried to construct two separate arrays, when everything needs to go into one array.
Again, simplified, my array now looks like this:

Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[UserId] =>
[600] =>
)

[1] => Array
(
[Address] =>
[Some Road 1] =>
)

[2] => Array
(
[Amount] => 1
[Price] => 217
[Product Code] => 8264054
)

[3] => Array
(
[Amount] => 2
[Price] => 213
[Product Code] => 8260630
)
)

Everything else looks fine, but in the generated xls the header row for the listing (Amount, Price & ProdCode) is left out. As I have (not?) understood this, this is because I have already specified columns A&B in the first elements of the array.
Is there a way around this?

br,
Niclas Paul, Finland

3. Re: xls with variable column names   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Niclas Paul Niclas Paul - 2008-09-23 07:58:11 - In reply to message 1 from Niclas Paul
This is looking more and more like a monologue, but if it helps someone else it's worth it :)

To answer my second own question, I got stuck with the idea that every key in the array needs to have the name specified. I solved my problem by starting the xls wirh the list that needed the headers in place. No problem there. Then I added the contact part without specifying the keynames. Without database calls:
$Excel[]=array("Username", $username);
$Excel[]=array("Address", $useraddress);

That did the trick. I had to move the contact info below the listing, but that's of no importance at least to this project.

Hopefully at least one of you have wondered about this and finds a solution, otherwise it's just plain embarrasying for me :)

greetings,
Niclas Paul, still from Finland...