PHP Classes

Invalid file type

Recommend this page to a friend!

MS-Excel Stream Handler  >  All threads  >  Invalid file type  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Invalid file type
Summary:File does not open in Excel but does in OpenOffice
Author:Jorrit Steetskamp
Date:2007-06-25 12:13:07
Update:2009-02-25 22:19:35

1. Invalid file type   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Jorrit Steetskamp Jorrit Steetskamp - 2007-06-25 12:13:07
With pleasure I use the Excel Stream Handler in combination with OpenOffice. Though friends say they cannot open the downloaded XLS file, because their Excel says the file is not valid. In other words, it seems OpenOffice can open the generated XLS, but Excel cannot. Excel can open the file when I save it as Excel 95 in OpenOffice. The XLS file is large and complex; with much long strings.

The server environment is PHP 5.0.4 on Apache 2.0 with a recently downloaded version of the MS-Excel Stream Handler. My client is Windows XP with OpenOffice 2.2. Others clients are Windows XP with Excel XP. All clients did test with IE and FF, but that is not of influence.

Please let me know if you like to receive the XLS file.

2. Re: Invalid file type   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Tim Mehmet Tim Mehmet - 2009-02-25 22:19:35 - In reply to message 1 from Jorrit Steetskamp
i have the exact same issue and same setup on server side.

Everything works perfectly except when i use windows XP and MS Excel to read the file.

OpenOffice on windows and ubuntu work just fine.

I am parsing an xml file, loading it into an array and pushing it into an array for xmlstream.

Small number of rows seem fine with MS Excel, but something with larger number of rows causes MS Excel to complain with the message 'unable to read'. maybe there is junk being generated which MS does not like!?!.

I'm using the example php script with additional code to 'include' my xml parsing.

any help would certainly be useful.

cheers.